You may have feared, dear readers, that I had fallen off the face of the earth. I assure you this is not true, I haven't fallen anywhere. Following in the next few days will be some selections of photographs taken on my trip. I took 1200 in all (oh my) so, obviously, I shall only be posting the best.
In sum, my vacation was amazing. My mother and I started in Paris, mostly we just wandered around the streets. My favorite walk we went on was probably our evening hike through the St. Germain area. All the shops were closed so we could gaze in at the designer clothing as long as we wanted. We also walked through Luxembourg Gardens that evening. It was fun to discover the city for ourselves. Speaking French was a pleasure as well. I did just fine speaking and comprehending the language so I suppose all those French classes have done something.
We went to the Chateau de Vincennes and also Chartres Cathedral and Rouen outside of Paris and within Paris. Within Paris we visited all the "sites" and, as I have said, walked and walked and walked. We attended a Gregorian Chant concert at Notre Dame Cathedral, which was particularly amazing. The music was made for that setting and it filled the whole building up to the ceiling. It sounded like the calling of angels, accentuated by the fact that the singers, between phrases, would move about the church and sing from different locations in the building.
After nine days we met my dad in London. It was hard to make the adjustment between the cities, but seeing the National Galleries, the V&A Museum, walks along the Thames, and the British Library, we soon began enjoying ourselves.
We went down to Bath where I partook of "the waters" (which smelled awful, but didn't taste to bad. It was just like drinking warm water at home).
We also went to a neighboring town called Frome where some of my ancestors are buried. It was miraculous that we found their graves, but we did with the help of one Jim Parsons, guru of the Dissenters' Cemetary, found for us by some women working in the tiny tourist office.
The flight home was not the most fun I've ever had, but it's nice to have gone and nice to be back home.
Saturday, June 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh man. You are so lucky. I want to go back to Europe!!!! I am especially jealous of the Gregorian chant concert. That would have been really cool.
Whitney! oh my....worlds cutest picture of you! You are so cute with your books and your learning. For some reason I see this as an online dating photo on eharmony or something. I can see you meet this cute smart professor in Europe with an accent. Weird how I get into these fantasies.
Post a Comment