It is our tyrant isn't it? Reading in Gargantua by Rabelais, I found one wry line I liked:
"Gargantua disait que la plus sûre perte de temps qu'il connût c'était de compter les heures."
Translated: "Gargantua said that the surest waste of time he knows is counting hours."
Gargantua would probably have a heart attack if he popped out of the pages of fiction and into modern America. We count minutes, even seconds. I check my clock about every three minutes some days. Perhaps I should take a leaf out of Gargantua's book and relax about time. I wonder if it's true that if a person spends too much time checking the clock it really is a waste of time. Is it because checking the time takes time, or is it because being distracted by time detracts from the quality of life?
Very philosophical. At least I liked one line in the book.
Wednesday, March 31, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment