Friday, December 16, 2011

She swiftly changed my mind

When Taylor Swift's first CD came out, Lydia introduced me to it and I was hooked. I was thrilled with Fearless as well. However, it took me a long time to warm up to her third album. I liked the "hits" but I felt she had somewhat abandoned her country roots. I was skeptical. Had she "sold out" and let go of the style of her music that I liked so much?

I finally have her third CD and I've been listening to it faithfully while commuting to work. I have to admit, though this is not my favorite of her albums, she has won me over again. I am particularly surprised that I enjoy the song "Speak Now." Usually, I find the whole idea of someone jilting their fiance at the altar for someone else seems totally unlikely and a cliched fantasy. However, I love Taylor's rendition of this story. The melody is light and flirtatious, and the lyrics are wry and confident. She did an original job with an old topic: that's talent.

No comments: