Monday, January 2, 2012

Jelly Biscuits

It’s been so long since I’ve made Jelly Biscuits and tonight I just couldn’t resist the temptation to eat some, so I fired up the oven, found the Jam, and mixed away. This is one of my all-time favorite recipes. I’ve been making it since I was about ten and I got the recipe from Samantha’s American Girl cookbook. It’s gotten a lot easier to make over the years.

I must admit that I seem to be the only person who loves this recipe. Frankly, it’s all I can do to stop myself from eating the whole pan right when they come out of the oven. My Mom likes them, but my Dad joked one day, “If you’re going to make something, why don’t you make something good?” When I asked Derek if he liked them he said, “Yeah, they’re actually really good. (I hope he doesn’t like them too much so I can keep them to myself.) After the mixed review, here’s the recipe you can try for yourself, if you ever get the notion to.

Jelly Biscuits from Samantha’s American Girl Cookbook

2 cups flour

4 teaspoons baking powder

2 tablespoons sugar

½ teaspoon salt

½ cup shortening

¾ cup milk

Flour for cutting board and rolling pin

½ cup jelly or jam (raspberry is my favorite)

1.Preheat oven to 425.

2. Sift flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in mixing bowl.

3. Add shortening. Use a pastry cutter to blend shortening and flour mixture until it becomes a coarse meal (after all these years, I still don’t get what a “coarse meal” is supposed to be or look like. I just go until there aren’t huge chunks of shortening). If you don’t have a pastry cutter, you can use two (butter) knives to “cut in” the shortening.

4. Add the milk and blend with a fork until the mixture forms a soft ball of dough. (This doesn’t happen with just the fork. You will actually need to moosh it together with your hands at the end to form a ball.)

5. Sprinkle a little flour on your cutting board and rolling pin.

6. Put the ball of dough on the cutting board and kneed it 12 times.

7. Roll out the dough until it is about ¼ inch thick.

8. Cut circles with a large round cookie cutter or glass. Put circles on a cookie sheet.

9. Roll the dough out again and cut more circles. This time cut out the middle with a one-inch round cookie cutter or bottle cap to create a ring. Place the rings on top of the circles on the cookie sheet (so each biscuit has two layers: a complete circle on the bottom and a centerless-ring on the top.)

10. Repeat step 9 until the dough is all used up.

11. Put a teaspoon full of jam or jelly into each ring.

12. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.



No comments: