Sunday, August 3, 2008

Pie? Oh no let's have soup instead.

My Grandfather's favorite dessert is Lemon Pie so I decided to make it for him.

First, I make the pie crust. Easy: add dry ingredients, add water, squish it together, put it in the fridge, wait an hour, roll it out, put it in the pie shell, make it look cute (the most difficult part), then bake it.

Next I make the filling. Add the dry ingredients and a cup and a half of water-- wait... one and a half cups? That can't be right. It looks like sea water not pie filling. I try again with a half a cup of water. That looks better, but is it really? Should I follow my instincts or the recipe? (Stupor of thought) Answer: Instincts. Just keep going.
Now I add the lemon juice (from a real lemon actually) and it still looks much too runny, but maybe it's supposed to... so I'll just go with it. I pour the filling into the, I flatter myself, beautifully-crafted pie shell.

It looks like soup. Maybe after it bakes it will magically turn into pie.

Fifteen minutes later:

Now it looks the same except brown on the top. Maybe it just needs to set in the fridge for a while.

Two hours later:

Maybe it needs to set overnight.

Next morning:

Maybe it would make a good ice cream sauce.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I did the same thing with quiche once. I wrote measurements to double the recipe in the column next to the original measurements, so instead of reading 1/2 cup of cream, it read 1 1/2 cup of cream. I was making a quiche, intending to do a single pie, and I added tripple the amount of cream needed. When we pulled it out of the oven, it was souper* soup-y. Luckily, my mom thought to try draining it over the sink and re-baking it. It worked. Eggs are amazing.