School this semester will be stressful. I can already tell.
I was looking forward to having a grammar class for French because I always had enjoyed them and I thought it would be nice to have straight answers for a change. But when class started I realized the down side: there are right answers and wrong answers; the luxury of interpretation of Literature and History classes does not apply here. But my grammar will improve I hope and it is the final chance I will have at a grammar class so I might as well make the most of it. I also love the professor, which is a definite bonus.
My Honors class will be much too much work but, again, I think it will be worth it. For the class we read memoirs of women from North Africa and the Middle East and in conjunction with that we write our own memoirs. I am excited to write a memoir and I think that it will be an interesting cultural study, but the memoir must be twenty pages single-spaced (scary), the class has only five students in it including myself (umm... pressure), and it is three hours long once a week (can I sit at one subject that long?).
I will start working at the Writing Center in early October. I am in a class to train for that position and we are reading about Writing Center/ Composition Theory (which is interesting and yet reminiscent of the Communications discipline I have been inclined to dislike). The class consists of six students including myself. I am to write a paper as the final project that I am expected to present at the Rocky Mountain Writing Centers' Conference in April. (gulp) No pressure.
My final class is a comparative literature prep course required for all language majors. It is not my favorite class, but it isn't that bad really...or that interesting...
All that said, I actually really am excited for this semester, scared but excited. It's nice to know that I am getting somewhere and I have a clear goal thanks to choosing a major.
I am also looking forward to my job as Zeta's treasurer this year. We have ten new Pledges and about twenty returning girls so I need to revise the semester budget and plan an activity or two, but nothing I can't handle (even while writing a twenty page single-spaced memoir).
I have been able to meet lots of international students since I was a Student Ambassador this year (i.e. I gave a tour and answered questions at the two international orientations). And I am invited to all the international activities. I hope I will get to know some of them well, but making friends in different cultures can be hard.
So I think it will be a busy semester, but a good one.
I feel like a real college girl though: up to my ears in homework, spending lots of time on campus, eating lunch on the lawn while discussing Comparative Literature with my friend, going to social functions...
I am already struggling with procrastination. I'm planning to do about four hours of homework on Labor Day...
Sunday, August 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
The best part has to be sitting on the lawn...not necessarily discussing literature, but something to that effect. :)
Hey, I like your blog. I also really like your picture... it's a good one. I've also been meaning to read "the blue sword" because everyone in my family has red it, except me. Good luck with your semester.
Post a Comment