Sunday, October 26, 2008

Corn Maze

I went to my first corn maze this weekend, it was "haunted" of course. I enjoyed it, although my inner student had reservations about it. The people who scare you, more or less, "target" the women because the men don't get scared. So why don't the men get scared? Well I see it this way: when the scarers frighten you they either bang on something or get in your face silently to intimidate you. The loud noises are just to complete the ambiance of jumpiness and the adrenaline rush, but what about intimidation? Why do women feel intimidated and therefore scared and guys don't? Because, in some way the women are more vulnerable. So really this "fear" and this entertainment plays on women's vulnerability, their fear of helplessness, and a violent attack. Is that right? During the maze I started to get sick of the stance of the scarers: they invade your body space so you cower and they just stare at you turning their heads slightly from side to side. Their stance almost says, "I have the power here. I can make you afraid because you know that compared to me you are weak and helpless." It is a manipulative exercise because essentially you are safe. But really, you aren't afraid of the corn maze and what's happening, but it awakes a fear inside you of what might happen and could happen and that you could do nothing about.

1 comment:

red said...

Wow. Deep analysis, and I totally agree. I've never really been able to figure out what the appeal of fear is. Sure, the rush of a roller coaster is fantastic, but paying to have people in your face, or to watch a story that will make you fear walking around the corner...just not my idea of a good time.