As part of her research my professor recorded a discussion some classmates and I participated in for post-colonialism. I gave consent for her to use my comment even though I feel like dropping dead from embarrassment when I read it. The comment was:
Female (W): And I just have a question. I’m a little confused, probably ‘cause I’m from the one culture, like, I don’t have a conflict, but, I mean, I don’t really understand, you know, like, what would be a Latino consciousness of writing versus, you know, my consciousness of writing as, you know, “white girl, born in Salt Lake,” you know what I mean? I don’t understand . . . the difference?
Can we, like, you know, say "Moron Alert?"
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Everyone sounds stupid when they read a phoneme by phoneme dictation of what they say. When we write we ignore all the umms and ohs and the like. And also, as a white upper-middle class utah male who studies french feminism and north african exile literature, I can say that it is sometimes really hard to grasp and understand different consciousnesses of writing. and even though i feel i have grasped 'it' to some extent, it is as a white upper-middle class utah male. The number one benefit of studying where other people are writing from is having become acutely aware of where I am reading from, and how that influences me (which i think to some extent is the point).
Ah, Whitters...I'm so proud of you! You sound just like me! I'm always saying "you know". Only with me if I pause I realize that no one (or very few) do know and they just nod to be polite or because I don't give them a chance to say otherwise. I think it's genetic. :)
I do that too! We all sometimes trip over our own words (me especially), but the content of what you're saying is golden. You definitely don't sound like a moron... well okay maybe a teeny tiny bit, but you're not a moron!
I was, um, thinking that, maybe, we all, uh, do that, like, all the time. So no worries, and uh, yeah.
That's ok! You don't say like and um too much, maybe you were just super nervous. <3
Post a Comment