Monday, December 28, 2009

Spicy

At the gym today the song "Stop" by the Spice Girls came on my ipod. Immediately, I flashed back to a sleepover I attended during the fourth grade with my two best friends Haley and Alice. We got dressed up (I wore a '70s leather vest with fringe and red beads that I had brought with me for this very purpose) and put on make-up (my eye shadow looked funny--my friends laughed at me-- but I'd never put any on before) and we danced and sang along to Spice Girls' songs in Alice's room. We divided up the parts and sang them separately as if we were in the band (this usually caused a little drama). I always wanted to sing Ginger's lines because she was my favorite. That day we also pretended that we were asked to join the Spice Girls and we decided on our Spice Girl nicknames: Haley was Kid Spice because she was the youngest, and I think Alice was Asian Spice because she was Chinese-American, and I was named Nice Spice. I really liked this appellation because not only did it rhyme, but it felt good to know that my friends thought I was a nice person. (I also remember that a joke name for me before we settled on Nice Spice was Indian Spice because of my funky, dark-brown eye shadow and leather vest. I was not amused by these cracks about my appearance.)

Want to make a short "Stop" down memory lane? This is also one of the first music videos I ever watched. Ginger is the red-head who begins the song. (You'll need to copy and paste the address because the hyperlink function is not functioning properly.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCr6RI0xyVU

No comments: