Sunday, February 27, 2011

The National Gallery

I love art. I went to the National Gallery yesterday after noon and I was completely blown away by all I saw and learned there. I spent only about an hour and a half, or perhaps two hours, but I admit that I only looked at the sculpture exhibit which comprised only about five small rooms. Needless to say, I took my time. I revisited many sculptures and spent a little time writing about them as well.

I have found, from this trip and from a foray into the Smithsonian portrait gallery in Chinatown, that I like the sculptures by Paul Manship. His sculptures are sleek and carry with them a sense of clarity but also an elegance of elongated movement. Their simplicity is the conduit for some special magic. I particularly like his sculpture Atlanta. (Here is a picture of it, but it does not do the sculpture justice.)


I used to claim, even in fact two months ago I was saying, that paint speaks more to me than clay or bronze, that I prefer paintings to sculpture and that sculpture doesn't "speak" to me. Now I realize that claim was ridiculous. I found myself fascinated afresh by the form and dance that sculpture encapsulates. Sculpture is an invigorating juxtaposition: it glorifies movement by capturing it in a non-flexible medium like bronze or marble. These solid, heavy objects have somehow been given freedom to dance without motion.

After rooms of deep bronze and white marble, I was also struck by the beauty of Kangxi porcelain. I stumbled upon a room filled with light that bounced off the intricately decorated and brightly colored vases, teapots, cups, and bowls. I admit I was in awe of their beauty. It is no wonder that Europe became so obsessed with "the Orient" when these civilizations increased their interaction; there is a sense of intriguing elegance in these masterpieces that is something wholly different from their European counterparts. Both are beautiful. Time in the porcelain room also made me realize how little I know; my art expertise is small, indeed I am nowhere near expert, and I do not know anything about Kangxi porcelain. The symbolic information of color, pattern, and subject are foreign to me. I found myself wishing that Sister Wendy was there to share her opinion of these works so that I could be edified by her knowledge of art and her sensitivity to the soul of the art work behind the dates and facts. (Here are a few pictures of the patterns on some of the vases. Again they do not do the works themselves justice, but they may give you an idea of how the objects were decorated.)





Another quick note, I also saw the caricature sculptures of Daumier. I was intrigued because I knew of their 19th century significance from French class, but I am not really a Daumier disciple. I am sure though that Professor De Raedt would have been thrilled with the rare complete set.

All in all I was enthralled with my museum visit and I cannot wait to go back.

No comments: