Monday, March 14, 2011

Expect the Unexpected?

Today was a somewhat frustrating day at work because I couldn't find the information I needed. The upside is that I found some interesting information that is completely superfluous. While looking for information about the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Iran Philo Dibble, I ran into an autobiography of another Philo Dibble, an early Latter-Day Saint whose memoir has been published online by his family. I haven't read it, but I did see the words "Kirtland". (Try this url if you want to read it http://www.boap.org/LDS/Early-Saints/PDibble.html)

Another exciting event happened during one of my least favorite tasks. I have to call offices to get contact information for officials and their assistants whom my professor wants to interview. Today I called London, England. I made an important discovery: British people are impossible to understand on the phone. Typically I got one word out of ten. These people should really be trained not to mumble. At one point the man on the other end of the line was talking, then there was a pause. Did he ask me a question or something? I said, "okay." That must have been the magic word because then I heard "I'll put you through." Next thing I knew I was listening to an answering machine for a woman with the last name of Bell. I was caught off guard and had no idea who she was. Then the phone beeped. Panic! I was leaving a message. I said "Hi" and fumbled through a rather confused message realizing I didn't know the international area code for my phone number. I left my email which was a real blessing because I later received an email from Leanne Bell who happened to be the right person I wanted to contact. It was a rather interesting experience which I hope I will not have to repeat.

A third interesting thing happened today. I woke this morning and was lying in bed hoping there would be another fire in the food court at work so that the building would be closed and I could sleep in. I checked my email. There was no fire so I got up and went to work. That afternoon there were two fire drills (but still no fire--which is in fact a good thing).

Altogether it was an interesting day.