Sunday, March 1, 2009

Bye, Bye Balzac

Balzac: 19th century French Writer, he wrote in a style somewhat similar to Charles Dickens i.e. he was paid by how much he wrote so it takes forever to come to the point. However, he is way more promiscuous than Dickens could ever have dared to be, which is to Dickens' credit.

Though the invention of the soap opera might be credited to the Greeks with Antigone, Balzac would definitely be in the running at the Cheesiest Romantic Dialogue Competition. Granted Balzac immortalizes Paris and writes brilliant inter-textual references to music and paintings, however, I don't think I can ever forgive him for his over-dramatized plots that lack all substance and have no semblance to the real world. Therefore, after three weeks of reading Ferragus and La fille aux yeux d'or and after a grueling paper comparing the two dramatic and difficult stories, I only have this to say:

Bye, bye Balzac, hope I never read you again!

1 comment:

Elen said...

I was chatting with John and he said to tell you he's sorry you didn't like Balzac, and that he's a good guy if you get to know him.