Thursday, June 30, 2011

To Chuck or to Cherish?

I have been saving tee-shirts brimming with sentimental value since Jr. High. The idea at the time was to make a quilt out of them. Yes, what a fun idea! Trouble was, at that point, I did not have enough shirts to make anything with. I saved and compiled and I kept on meaning to do something with them. One year when I was sure I would finally start sewing, I chopped them all up and saved only the designs and pictures. That was a bad move because now it just makes them harder to work with because they are oddly-shaped scraps. I identified other troubles on Thursday when I finally dragged the bag of paraphernalia out from under my bed: (1) I still don't have enough to do anything worthwhile with them, and (2) the colors are eclectic and ill-suited (as opposed to eclectic and chic which would have been more desirable).

Now, I am quite honestly considering throwing the things away. There are a few I am loath to part from, but at the same time I admit I had completely forgotten those scraps until I recovered them from their dusty home under my bed. As the song says, "Love must never hold tight, but let go." Perhaps that wisdom applies to dusty old scraps, too.

No comments: